I am from greece and work at the greek embassy in Riga, Latvia. I remember when I first arrived I heard about these “protesters” who would go around with signs outside of various Embassies. However, instead of expressing their grievances against a country they carried signs saying something nice. One day I heard some commotion outside the window and as I looked outside, I saw a few university student types carrying a sign that read “THANKS FOR THE SALAD.” At the time I found it weird that they hadn’t chosen philosophy, democracy, critical thought, athletics etc. (The list is endless, really). After I thought about it for for a while it occurred to me that what I miss the most and what I first eat when going back home and also the food I am most critical about is Greek salad (or as we call it, ‘village salad’ or just ‘salad’), so perhaps thanks were in order.
Making it is very easy and I am surprised there are so many variations on something so simple.
You can start with tomato, cucumber and olive oil and you have a great salad. That is your simple Greek salad. If you want to get to tavern style or if you have guests here is what you do:
- 2-3 Ripe firm tomatoes cut in wedges
- 1 Cucumber cut lengthwise and sliced
- 1 Red onion (but we are laid back – use white if that is what you have) roughly chopped
- 1 Green pepper sliced into rounds
- 100g Feta
- 2-3 TBS Olive oil
- Handfull of Kalamata olives (optional – but not in my house)
- A srinkling (or two) of Oregano
- 4 slices country bread or rusks
- Combine all the vegetables in a bowl.
- Add the feta either whole or cut into pieces
- Top with olives
- Pour oil on to and sprinkle with oregano.
Enjoy and don’t forget to mop up the oil with some nice country bread.
There might be some slight various on this depending on the region of grace one is from. Some people add capers and/or other types of cheeses but there is one thing that is certain….THERE IS NO LETTUCE IN GREEK SALAD.
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving Calories 250, Total Fat15, Saturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 10.0 mg, Total Carbohydrate 30g, Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 4 g, Protein 4 g.